Skip to main content

A Day in the Life of Nothing

Impatient mother scowls sourly at her children
and scolds her husband, silent and seemingly dull,
with wide soft eyes, for being a lazy ass.

Their youngest daughter of four, bobbing
her giant head with an amber green stare,
smiles shyly at me in a shopping cart full
of children, doughnuts, and diet Pepsi.

It's 8:49 AM.

Sleeping in a parking lot after another
pulsating never ending night of nodding
off for fifteen-dollars an hour, a woman
clearly Tlingit, clearly drunk, and clearly
lonely, asks over and over again "Aren't you
coming with me?" There's no response.

It's 1:37 PM.

Steady clicking, pecking irregular bird,
chattering confounding words, for future
comas to come, eyes dry, brain heavy sack
of fluid and distress, "documentation's
for the birds," I say.

It's 4:49 PM

A day has passed and I am ready for a beer.

It's 5:54 PM

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inside

"There's a chaos inside that 'll not die down." Unsteady gale wind whips at hair rips souls from their bones leaving corpses of naked bodies curled and crying, wet and muddy Blackness, sound of breathing a scream that wallows, tares from the intestines spewing brown bile, lead heavy words "You'll not drown in a wake of your own making." Shoving gravel through eye sockets, dreading tomorrow caught in a web of mucus, rotting tobacco leaves, dust of glass sprinkled on tongues Empty bottles of fire sing heavy somber tunes, tumbling off the end of the earth, cutting the heads of goddesses bathing in the stars "Turmoil inside suffocates tomorrow and the next." "I know."

Acrylic Dream

I lay in the rain with a purple sky, twelve suns swirl slowly without ever setting. My breath is heavy and the air is thick. The droplets of rain are like acrylic paint, forming little dotted mountains of color across my bare chest and legs. There is a kind of silence that feels like heavy stones piled a top my head. I cannot move. The rain increases. Putting the world around me into a slick of fantastic colors of red and green, purple and blue, and gold and silver silver streaks. I am becoming part of a painting, not of my own making. I try to stand but my limbs feel like tree roots being forcibly torn from the ground. I am starting to feel the sensation of drowning. Drowning in a pool of paint. I slough off paint from my face, my chest, my arms, my legs. As I slip the paint from my body I notice my skin has become translucent. I can see the fat tissue and beneath that, the sinew of muscle. Alarmed, I finally force myself to sit up. I gaze at my navel. I can see my innards and pushing

Things Left Behind

before i left i'd said i'd return for sure never did never will closed my accounts threw the keys stopped paying bills couldn't pay them anyway my old number is still linked up with my google voice account it gives me half-hearted transcripts of voice messages " This is an important message from AT&T to discuss your wire less Please return our call you may also access your accou nt online AT www, dot A T T dot com slash my wife. Thank you for using AT&T." " Hello This is an important ca ll from Wells Fargo card servi ces Com you press one. Yeah, if no t 5 sorry I did not detect a respo nse. We will try back later. Thank you." some don't ask for money "If you could, Texas, a rare a call back Give it to me, that'd be awesome, thank you bye." my mother calls regularly " this is mommy, just calling t o see how you're